Everyone wants online success, right? But why is it that not everyone actually realizes that outcome? Because online is not for the weak of heart…
I’ve come to recognize basic success characteristics over years. Most common is not realizing the amount of investment not only in dollars, but in time, knowledge and skill acquisition that will be required.
Nothing happens online by osmosis.
If Everything Were Equal
Let’s assume everything is equal for the sake of this article. Although, to be honest, rarely is that the case. Primarily based on the decisions made by the website owner.
You have a user-friendly, mobile responsive, visually attractive website. You are offering properly priced products or services that are in demand. So, what is left?
The website owner then becomes the catalyst. Based on the decisions they make. Their work ethic. Where they put their efforts. How they invest in their program.
For those who do reap online rewards there are certain characteristics they all have in common. I can spot those that are naturals a mile away. I also can identify those that will require a helping hand and a nudge in the right direction. (Some are more open to that “nudging” than others.)
Successful WordPress Site Owners…
- Prioritize and Automate Critical Tasks: Understanding what is at the core of your program and what you must do on a regular basis is critical. To ignore these tasks does not make them any less important or negotiable.
For example, having a backup system in place and keeping your theme and plugins updated is at the top of that list. Not only from an operational but security point of view.
They realize the importance of protecting their investment and therefore their brand. When roadblocks arise, they repave them with better processes. If they don’t have the time, they partner with a professional who can handle various tasks for them.
- Have Professional Communication Skills: Their email communications are clearly those of an educated professional. They respond to comments (and site inquiries) promptly in a courteous, professional and educated manner. This goes for their social media interactions as well.
- Exude Expertise, Authority and Trust: They post content regularly that their site visitors will value in a tone that talks to them. Not at them. They leave out all the narcissistic hyperbole you see on so many other sites that is of no value to site visitors.
They freely and willingly share their knowledge and expertise on their site and in groups and forums. By doing so they build a solid brand which lends to their credibility and authority. Without having to be braggadocios.
- Are Expert Listeners: They learned a long time ago that everything they ever need to know to be successful can be found if you take the wax out of your ears. And just listen.
They relish the tremendous insights into what direction they should go, what content they should add and what they need to plan for. All by being keenly aware of what their market is discussing.
When customers ask the same questions, they take note and add the topic to their FAQ, support documents and/or posting schedule.
- Embrace Knowledge Acquisition: That’s fancy-schmancy for being open to learning and the frustration that goes with that. They understand that technology isn’t going to wait or slow just for them to hop on the train and hang on for the ride. So they plan, set goals and hold themselves accountable.
They read, review, test, tune and try new concepts, programs, software, plugins, themes. Whatever it takes so that they remain on the edge. Yeah, that can be as frustrating as all get out, but they know this is how they keep ahead of their perceived competitors while contributing to their inevitable success.
Can you integrate the above characteristics?
Yes, you can. With the right mindset and dedication. And a work ethic like no other.
By not acquiring the above characteristics, you really cannot expect any realistic level of success. Online is not a forgiving environment. As a matter of fact it is now one of the most brutally competitive business arenas that exists.
If you approach your program by keeping these five characteristics front and center and do your very best to do your best — you will enjoy results. Don’t claim you are “trying” — become a doer and do! That is the ultimate characteristic of a successful WordPress website owner!
At your service,