It’s Alive! It’s Aliiiiiivvvvvve! (Or not.)
These little tid-bits, my pretties, are just a few of the small excruciating details that can make the difference as to whether your visitors run for the hills or feel it is worth sticking around.
Is Your Site on Life Support?
Are your site visitors screaming in glee or agony over your WordPress site? Do they have the urge to brush away cobwebs or run EVP (Electronic Voice Phenomena) sessions to see if there is any activity going on that they may be missing?
Being it is almost Halloween, I would like to present to you the scariest WordPress Boo-Boos that make site visitors wonder if the site owner is a WordPress Zombie!
While all of these scary things are common sense, it is bone-chilling that every Halloween I still run into sites that seem to be hell bent on convincing their site visitors that there is no life to be found.
Are You Scaring Your WordPress Site Visitors to Death?
- We haven’t posted for weeks or months and posts that are there are so outdated they are starting to decay. Or, there is no Blog at all!
- When it comes to social media we are the invisible man. Are you locked in a dungeon? Even if you are a vampire you can “do social” out of the sunlight or at night when you can find the time to come alive!
- Every post is a “look at me” promotional hypey-sales-pitchy rant with no value to site visitors. Is the site owner possessed?
- Photos or graphics are not carefully chosen, appropriately sized and laid out to compliment posts. Do your visuals look like they were created by Dr. Frankenstein?
- Content is painfully generic and filled with typos and grammatical errors. Hey, we all make mistakes but in some cases it is clear we aren’t even proofreading. Another sign of a WordPress Zombie!
- Site visitor comments and inquiries get no response or acknowledgement whatsoever. Are your site visitors relegated to acting like ghost hunters with a K2 EMF Meter to see if there are any signs of life?
- WordPress is outdated and you haven’t backed-up off-server lately — err, ever. You’ll be screaming like a banshee when your server crashes or is hacked!
- Visitors practically have to start a paranormal investigation to find contact forms and basic information. Makes you want to scream bloody murder!
- Your site is on a hosting platform that does not cater to WordPress with tech support that doesn’t know WordPress because it’s cheaper. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!
- You do not have security in place to stop from being possessed by ghosts and ghouls. And no https:! Simply chilling.
A quote from one of my favorite scary movies, The Shining:
Some places are like people: some shine and some don’t.
Don’t be frightened if you have a site that has any of this scary stuff going on — eat some Halloween candy, get a sugar buzz and go make your site shine!
At your service,