Over the next couple of weeks I’m going to focus on writing about blogging — which is a crucial part of your SEO. So let’s get to it!
I have discussions on a regular basis with site owners who are not happy with their natural or organic rankings. Nor are they thrilled about what I advise when comes to SEO and what they need to do to work towards improving their rankings.
The Truth Will Set You Free!
There are those that prefer to think that what I advise is a “Judith thing”. I don’t blame them when they can find information elsewhere that doesn’t require the investment in time, energy and resources necessary to gain the rankings they obsess about.
And they are obsessing.
The reality is getting that top of page, above the fold ranking on Google is a lofty goal at best for most sites. You would literally have to outperform the sites that already own those slots.
If you want the rankings you say you do — it is really pretty simple what you have to do. That is if you are as serious as you say you are about getting the rankings you desire.
The “big kahuna”, the one thing you need to know, the single most important part of your SEO efforts is that you must know what your target visitors are searching for and what information they need.
That’s easy enough to find out because there are free keyword research tools available for you to use so you know this critical info.
SEOing Your WordPress Site is About
Your Customers First
You then proceed to write for your visitors, and because you know what they are seeking, you follow these three simple steps.
- Write quality engaging, helpful and useful content.
- Write some more quality engaging, helpful and useful content.
- While you are at it, write some more quality engaging, helpful and useful content.
Solve your customers problems, help the understand the value of what you can do for them by sharing your knowledge and expertise. Then broadcast all that great content across your socials and as opportunities present themselves!
That’s what it takes. Great writing, about topics your site visitors can use. Then making sure you get the word out! By knowing what your target market is looking for and writing about it — you are naturally SEOing your site! Keep a few simple WordPress SEO tips in mind when creating your content and the rankings will happen.
But it takes time and your consistent efforts for the long haul.
A passion for your business, a willingness to share your experience and the ability to make the commitment to spend the time and effort to create the engaging content that makes visitors jump for that contact button — instead of their back button.
Success is no accident. It is hard work, perseverance, learning, studying, sacrifice and most of all, love of what you are doing or learning to do.
Don’t fall for the hooey…
- I just have to change titles, keywords and descriptions to what I want to be in the “top 10” for. Changing meta keywords (which are ignored), titles and descriptions alone without ensuring they are relative on a page by page or post by post basis, is ineffective. Titles and descriptions have to be page/post specific — the more specific the better!
- The more Blog posts I have, the better my rankings! Blogging nonsensical boring regurgitated content that is not well written, unique or helpful just to “Blog”, does not improve rankings — nor will it encourage contacts or return visitors. Quality overrides quantity!
- I’ll exchange links with friends and unrelated sites because Google likes links.Linking to non-related sites that offer no value to your site visitors does nothing to build your popularity or authority in the “eyes” of search engines. No popularity or authority — no increase in rankings.
Being niche (the less you are about, the more you are about one thing and therefore can be more relevant for that one thing), writing quality, helpful content you know your visitors are seeking (because you took the time to do your due diligence), and being approachable and involved is how you gain the rankings you desire. Over time.
The fact is you can SEO your WordPress site so that those seeking what you have to offer will find you. You just have to write about what they are seeking while targeting your niche!
Want to experience improved rankings? Then be willing to constantly work on your writing skills, start an editorial calendar and show your personality (there is only one you after all — use that to your advantage)!
If you want to read more about the reality of SEO (not the hype and hooey), I’ve got a whole bunch of articles on the topic of Search Engine Optimization available for your reading pleasure. Go for it!
At your service,