Here’s the sweet spot — the sixteen things you need to do to make sure your new WordPress Blog has the best chance for success.
What is not part of my “Sweet 16” is having a unique niche, focus, methodology or personality that will separate you from others with sites within the same topic arena — that should be a given and already confirmed. Without that, you face an uphill battle.
I could probably put a list together of 160 things — but this 16 are the basics to get off to a running start!
16 Website Marketing Tips for your WordPress Blog
- Focused content that talks to readers — not at them. Pretend you are talking to site visitors from across the table at your favorite diner.
- A title that makes onliners want to read it! Catchy and controversial sparks curiosity and increases “clickability”.
- A topic many will find useful, helpful, informative. This post is an example. Use lists and tips to help your readers reach their goals or accomplish tasks on their “to do” list.
- A photo or graphic that relays the intent and/or tone of the post. This is a visual medium — use it to your advantage!
- Apply K.I.S.S.: Keep it short and simple. That goes for sentences and paragraphs. Yeah, I know… easier said than done. But at least try!
- No typos or grammatical errors. Read and reread. Trying reading your post out loud before publishing and you may be surprised at what you end up changing.
- Make it super easy for readers to subscribe and pass on your posts. Have icons above the fold for your top social media sites so readers are only a click away from joining you. Use one of the many social media plugins to add the top social media site icons at the bottom of every page and post for sharing.
- Choose 2-3 relevant tags from your established list of tags. Don’t have a list — make one! Never add a new tag unless you know you’ll have at least 5 posts for that tag in the very near future. [READ: Categories, Keywords and Tags; Oh My!]
- Have your posts Tweet to Twitter, post to your Facebook Page and LinkedIn profile automatically.
- Respond to comments (if you have comments on) promptly and with sincerity.
- Don’t go crazy with unnecessary or useless plugins. Use only those that enhance your Blog’s features and usability. Otherwise your risk conflicts or your site not performing as it should.
- Upgrade WordPress and plugins as soon as new updates become available. When you see that notice bar notifying you of an update, stop and upgrade.
- Back up your database on a regular basis.
- Back up your export file on a regular basis. (Tools > Export)
- Post on a regular schedule so readers know when to expect to hear from you. Plan on posting at least once a week to start to build a following — then be consistent.
- Be yourself; show your personality! Your Blog is all about you offering information that is all about your target topic. A topic you are hopefully knowledgeable and passionate about! Don’t be afraid to let your personality shine through as that is what will separate you from everyone else!
These are just the basics to get your off to a running start. Get all of the above in place and working like a fine-tuned engine then listen to your visitor’s comments and questions to tweak your plan moving forward.
To your success!
At your service,