How do you choose a WordPress Consultant that you will be able to trust and rely on for something as important as your online success? By doing your due diligence.
After decades of horror stories from onliners who were taken advantage of, I wanted to create a list of benchmarks you need to look for to ensure you are in good hands — whether it be another consultant or me.
10 Questions You Need to Ask
Below are criteria that should be scrutinized when you need WordPress Consulting, Help, and Support. The last thing you want to do is decide on price alone and end up with unreliable off-shore availability.
These are also the issues and questions that, over the years, I've found potential clients are most concerned about (or made the mistake of not considering) when determining who to partner with:
WordPress Consultant Checklist
- Does their site reflect a command of WordPress customization and plugin integration? Do a thorough review of the consultant's website to see how they are using WordPress. How they use WordPress to market their services will give you a good idea of what to expect and their capabilities.
- How long have they been working with WordPress? How long has their website been using WordPress? These answers will be key to determining if their experience reflects a solid understanding of how best to use the advantages of WordPress for your program.
- How long have they been in business and doing business online? The longer, the better so that you can take advantage of their experience.
- Is location important to you? Most folks I talk to within the United States prefer to work with someone who is stateside. Timezone differences and the ability to contact your WordPress Consultant during your business hours when you need them are significant from a support perspective.
- What is their response time to your inquiries? Email potential partners to see how they respond and how quickly. This will give you a clear view of what you can expect when you submit your WordPress help or support requests.
- Do they offer comprehensive WordPress support and maintenance?
- How about WordPress training or orientation as part of their services? If you are new to WordPress, this level of additional support will be invaluable.
- Locate their FAQ so that you can review the answers to questions you have about their WordPress Consulting Services? How about a Code of Ethics? Or is their site lean on this level of information and content overall?
- Do they have a Blog that reflects their breadth of knowledge and experience? If not, why not?
- Are you provided their Terms of Service in writing for you to refer to at your convenience? Do they take the time to detail their fee schedule and billing policies? This information should be discussed and included in your initial communications to know exactly what to expect before any work is commissioned.
While TV commercials showing settlers settling are entertaining, settling when it comes to your business's online presence can be fatal. All too often, folks decide who to work with based on cost alone.
While a WordPress Consultant's hourly rate by itself is crucial, you also need to consider the above. In addition, it would be best to get specific answers to all these essential questions to make an informed cost/benefit decision.
If the above information is available on your potential WordPress Consultant's site and you can get prompt and courteous answers to all your concerns to your satisfaction, you will know you have found a partner you can count on.
You want your WordPress website to thrive, so that means nothing less than a person or company that is committed to offering the customer service and ongoing WordPress support you'll need to rely on will suffice.
At your service,