Let’s see here… The Indexed Web contains at least 4.58 billion pages (Tuesday, 01 August, 2017).
Not all are quality, not all are of interest – as a matter of fact many are just dead files located on a server out in Internet-land. With that in mind, and the added fact that certain markets have become saturated, how are you going to get found in this mess?
Bulls-eye marketing! You know what a target looks like, right? All those circles getting smaller until you get to the one in the center – the bulls-eye? When you play darts, or go to the shooting range you score less with each hit that is in the circles furthest out.
So why not use this analogy when you think of online marketing? Doing so would without a doubt help to improve your overall rankings and allow you to prioritize and “target” your efforts!
Here are the key bulls-eye marketing tips to get your core terms in place.
Bulls-eye SEO Ranking and Marketing Tips PDF
- This PDF includes this article along with a target for you to use in this exercise. Begin to carefully create your phrases – no one word keywords here. Use phrases that you know for a fact those looking for your site will use – not what you want to get found by. Not what you think they will use — what they are actually using!
Many times these are entirely different sets of keyword phrases! If you are not sure what folks are actually using, check out my post on Free Keyword Research Tools. Know that if you target the wrong keywords and all your efforts will be in vain. After investigating your market’s keyword phrases, start with the center of the bulls-eye containing only your most important one or two 2-3 word keyword phrases.
- As you move to the outer circles in the target, note your less important phrases by sub-topics – up to two per circle. This allows you to prioritize your efforts knowing which terms are those terms that are most important for you to get found by.
You really need to be realistic here and not use terms that your site does not clearly back up with content. Simply typing keywords in a plugin doesn’t make it so!
- Once your target is complete, begin with the bulls-eye and make sure that your WordPress site title and description uses your main phrase and/or a variation thereof. Also make sure to include these phrases peppered throughout your primary headlines and copy.
- Now move to the next circle outside of the bulls-eye. Determine which page those phrases apply to most and follow the above. If the phrases in any target circle are not closely related or do not apply to each other, you can simply create a new page with useful information and resources (not fluff) that applies to each specific set of phrases. As a matter of fact that works even better!
- Don’t have the ability to tweak your titles or descriptions? If you are still on a static HTML platform, you’ll want to consider WordPress as the easiest way to get you there! Read my post: News Flash! WordPress isn’t just for Blogs any more!
- Do you have pages that have 10s or 100s of keywords in the Meta tags? STOP IT! Tweak your current content and create new information packed pages targeted at one or two keyword phrases each and add them to your site.
Search Engines are Just Computers
Search engine crawlers are not sentient; they don’t think they don’t surmise (…as of late that could be open to discussion). They gobble up what is on your site based on the content, the code and 100s of other variables and then based on each search bots unique algorithm determines how your site will be ranked.
The key to bulls-eye marketing is knowing what your target market uses to find you and incorporating those terms and phrases, ideas and concepts into your site!
You will actually dilute your site’s relevancy by trying to get found by everything under the sun or with a site that is just a handful of pages. But we all know that brochureware type sites just don’t cut it don’t we? And if you do not have content that backs up those phrases – well, as we say in Chicago – foe-ged-aboud-it!
Target your bulls-eye and have your site mimic that layout. You’ll be pleasantly surprised as you see your targeted pages gain higher relevancy, then get found, passed around and commented on. Over time that leads to more prominent rankings — which leads to more business!
Use target marketing and hit the bulls-eye!
At your service,