Everyone wants "top 10 rankings" for their WordPress sites. The reality is that now you need top 5 to hope to be above the fold due to recent layout changes.
Seems like an impossible task -- and to be honest it is a difficult hill to climb. Especially considering most folks I talk to have a higher opinion of their sites than probably most site visitors -- or search engines will have.
Are you serious about doing what is necessary to get those rankings? If so, let's turn things around a bit...
Don't Chase Search Engines -- Let Them Chase You!
I can hear you out there... "Yeah, sure!" Well, it's not that difficult of a methodology really and it is a great analogy to getting your site on the right path. All you have to do is think differently than all the hype, amateur consultants and unscrupulous marketing "gurus" have led you to believe about how getting found works.
There Are No Tricks or Secrets -- Only Great Sites!
First off, what search engines like is fresh content and lots of it; yummy! That's the fuel for their fire so to speak. So it goes without saying that if you keep adding new tasty content on a regular basis that will encourage search engines to visit your site because you'll have a fresh buffet of tempting entrees.
How do search engines know you have new content? Certainly not by osmosis!
If you take the simple steps described below search engines will get a whiff of the appetizing content you have to offer and act like they are at an all-you-can-eat buffet!! Your site will be like Mama's house on a Sunday afternoon! You know what I mean; dinner smells so good everyone in the house can't wait to get a plateful! That's how it goes with search engines and content.
If you don't have savory content, why should onliners or search engines visit you and give you higher rankings over those who serve up a delicious gut-busting Sunday dinner? The answer is -- they don't.
All it takes is for you to be prepared to gather the appropriate ingredients, cook and serve.
Mix up a new article...
Cook it to perfection...
Season with a photo/graphic...
Serve it to the hungry onliners and search engines!
That's not too much to ask to succeed online is it? If it is, well, maybe you should reconsider your online endeavors.
Now let's setup your buffet!
- Setup a WordPress blog that you post to consistently with flavorful and enticing content.
- Make sure your Blog offers a subscribe feature so visitors get notified by e-mail when you enter a new post. I use and recommend MailChimp. Free up to 2,000 subscribers.
- Offer RSS and podcasting feeds of your Blog posts so that visitors can get your information in as many flavors as they choose. See? Your mouthwatering buffet is growing!
- Interlink previous relevant posts within your new posts. Visitors follow the links to the scrumptious previous articles on your site. They're going back for seconds! Longer time on your site; happy visitors! Happy visitors tells search engines to chow down!
- Make it super easy for visitors to Like your articles, Tweet about them and link to them. Incoming links to your site; lip smacking good! Thanks to WordPress you have a choice of social media plugins to choose from.
Can you see what is happening? We are creating a feeding frenzy!
This interactive medium called the Web is now more interactive than ever. At first when it all began, "interactive" meant some flashing this or moving that. Now interactive means just that; you need to interact and be involved by creating a buffet of your own or you'll be left in the dumpster by those who do.
One thing is sure; chasing search engine algorithms is a futile effort at best. But when you have the nourishment they want, tasty content, search engines are hungry little bots and it's hard to keep them away. Food for thought? You bet!
Open your own buffet today and feed the beast!
At your service,