On Monday, May 27th, WordPress will be 10. I remember when I first discovered WordPress right after it started rolling — I didn’t hesitate to jump on that bandwagon! Just as I knew how the Internet would change our lives over 18 years ago (when I was the crazy lady bragging about my 4800 baud modem) I knew in my gut that WordPress would also change the world.
“Web sites” are now “websites” and slow baud modems are now replaced by broadband. Some basic HTML skills could create a Web site that produced oohs and aahs. Today, it is WordPress garnering that reaction by assisting individuals and small businesses to have a Web site with visuals and functionality that would have cost 5 figures back in the day.
What many who use WordPress don’t realize is the number of developers so passionate about WordPress that they give back by contributing to the ongoing WordPress core development. That is what has allowed WordPress to grow from an idea of one smartypants named Matt Mullenweg to a community open source project with some of the most talented and helpful folks around.
I thought I’d share with you some interesting stats on WordPress. If you aren’t on board yet, I’d love to hear what you are waiting for!
- 48% of the top 100 blogs run WordPress.
- WordPress is used by 56.9% of all the websites whose content management system is identifiable. This is 18.2% of all websites.
- Number of WordPress sites around the world – 59.4 million.
- 22 of every 100 new domains created in the US are running WordPress.
- 3.5 billion WordPress web pages viewed each month.
- An average day on WordPress sees around 500,000 new posts
- There are 19,000+ plugins freely available in the WordPress Plugin Directory and WordPress plugins have been downloaded more than 285,000,000 times.
Guess who else uses WordPress? Here’s just a handful…
Pretty amazing stuff don’t you think? I look forward to what lies ahead for WordPress as I genuinely believe this platform has yet to have its full potential. Is your site on WordPress? Tell me why you love WordPress in the comments below!
WordPress is sharing its 10th Birthday with a day close to my heart. Memorial Day. While many look at this day as a day to party, picnics and have a Memorial Day Sale, I can’t forget what this day is really about. Our Fallen Heroes.
At your service,